Support Healthy Lactation with Fenugreek
Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) is an annual herb native to the Mediterranean region of the world. Fenugreek is used throughout the world as a culinary spice and has been used by women for centuries as a “galactagogue” – a natural product to increase the production of breast milk. Fenugreek contains diosgenin, a plant-based estrogen, which is thought to increase milk flow in lactating women to help support breast milk production.*
Unlike other available Fenugreek supplements which can require taking up to 8 capsules per day, Fairhaven Health’s Fenugreek contains a unique blend of organic Fenugreek Seed Powder, along with a concentrated Fenugreek Seed Powder extract (10:1), delivering a dose equivalent to 2000 mg of standard fenugreek seed powder in just 2 vegetarian capsules each day.
While fenugreek has a long history of safe use as a culinary spice and an herbal galactagogue, there are a few important precautions related to fenugreek supplementation:
- Fenugreek can cause sweat and breast milk to smell like maple syrup.
- Fenugreek is not recommended for pregnant women.
- Fenugreek should be used with caution by women with allergies to peanuts.
- Fenugreek can reduce blood glucose levels. Women with diabetes should consult a physician before taking fenugreek.
- Fenugreek can, in some cases, aggravate asthma symptoms. Women with asthma should consult a physician before using fenugreek.
Wondering which supplements can be taken together?
(see our Pregnancy & Nursing Supplement Guide to find out.)